Salt water makes up 97.5% of water on Earth, leaving 2.5% as fresh water. Nearly 70% of fresh water is frozen in the icecaps,
which means there’s not much left for us to use. In fact, humans use less than 1% of all water on Earth.
This water has to be shared amongst nearly 7 billion people for drinking, sanitation, industry and irrigation. It also serves freshwater aquatic ecosystems and the millions of other species on our planet.
From the high altitudes of our mountains, to the depths of our oceans, water is connected to the cycle of life. Human activities impact on the quality and quantity of all water. It is therefore important to not only conserve our freshwater areas, but also mountain catchments, estuaries and marine environments.
As it is World Water Day on 22 March, do your bit for the planet and become water wise this month.